Monday, July 1, 2013

Undivided Attention



Hanging Out With Gonka
By Chip Arpin


Maggie Blair and Adam Garland
in front of Gonka's house in 1998


The Fourth of July always reminds me of Gonka and his front porch.  He lived right across the street from Riverside Park in Neenah, Wisconsin, on Lake Winnebago, where all the 4th of July festivities took place. Gonka was very patriotic of course, and would be proudly displaying the flag...while sitting on his rocker looking out on the park. We would go and have a piece of watermelon rhubarb, or some such seasonal treat while listening to his adventurous tales. 

For some reason, memories of Gonka and his house are very vivid for me. I think this may be partly true because he was SO "present" that when I was with him I became more so myself. When you are out in nature, fishing, and especially hunting you have to be intensely aware....if you want to be successful...or in some cases stay alive! Gonk spent so much time like this that I think he developed this "quality of attention" most all the time. I think he just took it for granted, like everyone had it. Otherwise he would have invented a pet name for it. When I was with Gonk, I always felt like I was "basking" in his full attention. For this I will always be grateful.

1 comment:

  1. That was such a sweet house...I am so happy that I was able to visit Gonka in that house during one of my Wisconsin trips.

    ReplyDelete